Skip to main content

Virtual Career Fair: Newspaper Reporter


First Name and Position : Alfonso, reporter for Newsday.


Degree : Bachelor’s degree in studio art from Queens College, master’s degree from the Columbia School of Journalism.

 
What made you decide on your profession: I’ve always enjoyed writing and broadcasting, and began taking  journalism classes in college because I was considering working in radio. I excelled in the journalism program and upon my graduation, I was offered a summer internship at Newsday. I quickly realized that working as a newspaper reporter could be a very exciting and fulfilling job (if not a lucrative one.) It allowed me to meet a lot of interesting people, experience a lot of exciting things, and express myself creatively.


How did you get your job: I worked hard during that summer internship with the hope that I would land a two-year internship, which paid better and was usually a path to a fulltime job. I didn’t get the two-year internship at first, but did have my internship extended for a few months. I kept working hard and kept being extended. I finally got that two-year internship, and then a fulltime job as a reporter. Last year I was promoted to special writer.


Describe a day (or week) in your job: I cover public transportation, so my editors largely rely on me to find out where the news is, come up with story ideas, report them and write them. I split my time between working in the main newsroom in Melville, where I usually write my stories, and being out “in the field” covering the news. I am constant communication with my sources, on the phone, in person or by email. They share the information I need to put stories together. On any given day, I may be covering breaking news, like a train derailment, or be covering a press conference or meeting. On the average, I probably write about three stories a week, and am usually also working on a larger project. Some days can be pretty hectic—starting early in the morning and lasting well into the evening. And some can be pretty slow. I take my work home a lot, and it’s not unusual for me to be on the phone with or emailing editors or sources late at night or on my days off.

 

Advice for teens interested in doing your job: Get as much writing experience as you can, whether it’s for small publications, likely school newspapers, or even Internet blogs. Editors will want to see examples of your writing. And the more you write, the better you’ll get at it. Also, if you want to become a good writer, it’s important to read good writing. Read newspapers and online news sites to get a feel for how news stories are put together. News writing is very different than other kinds of writing. In some ways it’s easier, but it also has a lot of rules that have to be followed. But, certainly, writing is not the only part of being a newspaper reporter. It’s not even the most important part. You have to be curious, forward, and a good listener. News stories are made by reporters’ questions. So you have to come up with the right questions, find the right people, and get them to answer.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Grief

Below are some sites that can help you cope with the grieving process. Death and Grief Teen Grief Support Help for Teens Teens and Grief Support for Grieving Teens Grief Speaks: Death of a Friend

CLASSIC YA BOOKS THAT MADE YOU FEEL SEEN

  K.W. Colyard   Jul 26, 2023 SPEAK   BY LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON I’m sure I’d heard of another book about rape before  Speak  came along. Hell, I might even have read one. But these days? This is the only book I can remember that dealt with one of the myriad possible reactions to sexual assault: silence.  Speak  and other books that deal with similar subject matter have the ability to empower victims of abuse to label what’s happened to them and seek help. ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME, MARGARET  BY JUDY BLUME Once a staple on banned books lists, Judy Blume’s most famous novel has been teaching preteens about puberty — including menstruation and boob exercises — since 1970.  Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret  was far ahead of its time, being one of the first children’s books to show an interfaith family on the page, and — along with Lois Lowry’s Anastasia Krupnik — depicted a child allowed to make up her own mind about which religion she wanted to follow. THE CAT ATE MY GYMSUIT  BY PAULA

JEWISH YA BOOKS: MORE THAN THE HOLOCAUST

 by  Jaime Herndon   Oct 27, 2021 I can remember the first time I really felt “seen” in a book. It was Judy Blume’s  Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret . Margaret’s parents had an interfaith marriage, like my parents. I’d never seen that before in a book, and it felt special to me. I don’t remember reading many of the Holocaust books people say they read as kids (Lois Lowry’s  Number the Stars  comes to mind, which is actually about a non-Jewish girl), although we did read  The Diary of Anne Frank  in school. To put it bluntly, we didn’t need to read many of those books at my Jewish day school. The history was in many of our families, with grandparents having numbers on their arms or stories of escape. It was in some of our teachers whose histories we whispered. We studied the Holocaust intensely our 8th grade year. I don’t think it was until after I graduated and went to a public high school that I realized Holocaust kid lit and YA lit was A Thing. Sometimes I cringe when looking at