Skip to main content

Virtual Career Fair: CPA


 
Michele Frontino – CPA. I work out of my home office. I also visit various clients and work at their offices.


Degree: I have a BBA with a concentration in Accounting from Adelphi University

 
What made you decide on your profession: I knew that I wanted to go into the business field. I was always good with numbers. I like having the interaction with different people all of the time. All of those things added up to becoming an accountant. Once I started working at a public accounting firm, I realized that I wanted to get my CPA certification.


How did you get your job: Adelphi had a great placement for soon to be accounting graduates. The Accounting Society and faculty would arrange for “office visits” during the summer. We also had many opportunities to meet with recruiters during the year at various events. We would tell the placement office what firms we were interested in and they would submit our resumes. If you were granted an interview, the first interview was held on campus. Any additional interviews were held at the accounting firm. My subsequent jobs were obtained through newspaper (yes newspaper) advertising and word of mouth recommendations. While I was working at the various accounting firms, I was also building up a small tax practice on the side. After the birth of my first child, I decided to go completely on my own. My practice has now grown to about 130 tax returns. I also do accounting and bookkeeping work for small to medium sized companies.

 

Describe a day (or week) in your job: A day or week in my job depends on the time of year. On a quarterly basis, I have to prepare payroll tax returns. On a different quarterly basis there are sales tax returns to be done. I usually deal with my email first. I field client calls as they come in. When I am not in the heart of tax season, I try to do write up work (creating a check register and reconciling the bank accounts) for my business clients.  I find that doing it during the year eliminates a lot of pressure during “crunch time”.  Today, I finished an IRS audit with a field agent in Florid. I also do a lot of work for the local fire district.

 

Advice for teens interested in doing your job: study hard. If you are really interested in pursuing a career in accounting, really study for and pass the CPA exam as soon as you can. The longer you wait to pass, the harder it gets. Know that the time from mid January – the end of April will be crazy time of year. However, it is also very rewarding. I love my clients. Many of them have become my friends. It is very gratifying to know that they rely on you to be an integral part of their business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Grief

Below are some sites that can help you cope with the grieving process. Death and Grief Teen Grief Support Help for Teens Teens and Grief Support for Grieving Teens Grief Speaks: Death of a Friend

CLASSIC YA BOOKS THAT MADE YOU FEEL SEEN

  K.W. Colyard   Jul 26, 2023 SPEAK   BY LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON I’m sure I’d heard of another book about rape before  Speak  came along. Hell, I might even have read one. But these days? This is the only book I can remember that dealt with one of the myriad possible reactions to sexual assault: silence.  Speak  and other books that deal with similar subject matter have the ability to empower victims of abuse to label what’s happened to them and seek help. ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME, MARGARET  BY JUDY BLUME Once a staple on banned books lists, Judy Blume’s most famous novel has been teaching preteens about puberty — including menstruation and boob exercises — since 1970.  Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret  was far ahead of its time, being one of the first children’s books to show an interfaith family on the page, and — along with Lois Lowry’s Anastasia Krupnik — depicted a child allowed to make up her own mind about which religion she wanted to follow. THE CAT ATE MY GYMSUIT  BY PAULA

JEWISH YA BOOKS: MORE THAN THE HOLOCAUST

 by  Jaime Herndon   Oct 27, 2021 I can remember the first time I really felt “seen” in a book. It was Judy Blume’s  Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret . Margaret’s parents had an interfaith marriage, like my parents. I’d never seen that before in a book, and it felt special to me. I don’t remember reading many of the Holocaust books people say they read as kids (Lois Lowry’s  Number the Stars  comes to mind, which is actually about a non-Jewish girl), although we did read  The Diary of Anne Frank  in school. To put it bluntly, we didn’t need to read many of those books at my Jewish day school. The history was in many of our families, with grandparents having numbers on their arms or stories of escape. It was in some of our teachers whose histories we whispered. We studied the Holocaust intensely our 8th grade year. I don’t think it was until after I graduated and went to a public high school that I realized Holocaust kid lit and YA lit was A Thing. Sometimes I cringe when looking at